Welcome to My Full-Time RV Living LifeStyle Blog!

I suppose I should mention that this is an RV blog. The picture of me standing beside a motorhome in the banner probably tipped you off to that fact already, but you know how it is with blogs, any body can put anything in the header.

Anyways, I was born, raised, and live in Maine, I have 12 cats, and some people would call me homeless. Nope, I have a home, I just don't have what people call a standard house. My house has wheels and her name is Rosebud. My backyard stretches on for thousands and thousands of miles all the way from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean.

Once upon a time I had a "regular home" but a flood came and took it away. Me and my cats spent the next 3 years living under a 8x6 tarp and survived through 3 blizzards and Maine's coldest winter on record when the temps hit -48F. After that me and the cats moved in a Volvo. As hard as it is to live in a tent with 12 cats, it's even harder to live in a Volvo with 12 cats, and a motorhome named No Hurry was the answer. No Hurry: my home, my office, my RV.

I plan to use this blog to share my thoughts, ideas, adventures, and advice on being self-employed, living and working a full-time RV LifeStyle with an army of cats, while boondocking in the wonderful (and sometimes sub-zero) state of Maine.

I hope to write a post a day featuring random thoughts as they pop into my head, and hopefully 2 or 3 posts per week will focus on something helpful to those seeking to live in an RV full time. If you've any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions on what sort of posts you'd like to see me write, please comment and let me know.

I hope you all have as much fun reading this blog as I know I'll have writing it.

~Wendy

Sunday, December 16, 2012

ANSWER To The Single MOST Frequently Asked Question I Receive:


ANSWER To The Single MOST Frequently Asked Question I Receive:

Q: "Can one be a writer without college courses in creative writing?"

If you look at my profile here, you'll notice a couple of things:

1) I have no education prior to starting college 1 year ago.

2) I wrote my first book in 1978

3) I started an indie publishing house in 1983

4) I have Autism; talking not on the menu; you want to have a conversation with me, you have to read it not listen to my voice; as a result I write on average 10,000 words a day

5) In my 40 years as a writer I have published: 30+ books, 200+ short stories, 2,000+ non-fiction articles, several RPG game modules, and a few dozen plays.

6) Though I was born and raised in the USA, I come from a culture where education and public schools are thought of as "evil" and thus when I say I have no education, I don't mean, as most people do "I didn't go to college", I mean EXACTLY what I said: I have NO education, as in, no high school, no grade school, no education. Period.

Now, what was your question again? Can one be a writer without college courses in creative writing? Honey, one can be a writer without ANY education period, college, creative writing or otherwise. If you have something to say, you don't need anyone to tell you when or how to say it, because you'll just say what has to be said. If it's in your head wanting to be put on paper, than get it out of your head and put it on paper! You don't need classes to show you how to do this, just do it.

--------

EDITED TO ADD:

Shortly after posting this I was messaged with a question referencing it to ask:

"Evil because of satan, or evil because of it's being largely a waste of time for any kid who could and would self-educate with a library card and a couple of math workbooks?"


there were different views from different family members (300+ members in the family unit), some had this theory that the government was a conspiracy of sorts and that schools were out to brainwash kids into being soldiers and ceos, others were really religious and had this whole "the schools are run by satan" theory. For most though it was a "cultural tradition" thing, where our people (Scottish Traveller/Gypsies) "never had no white folk education and are getting by fine". Most of my people, however, can not read and write and many, like myself, can not do math (a skill I have since learned this past year in college).

I never thought about education much, it didn't really matter to me one way or the other, until Hurricane Katrina hit and wiped out our farm, took out the barns and houses, destroyed the land so no crops would grow, left death and destruction at all sides, and suddenly, my writing income which had been fine before, was not enough to pay for repairs, medical bills (which were in excess of $3million), let alone support 300 people! We were homesteaders, living off the land in a rather isolated swampy coastal forest in Maine, but our family had lived here for generations, great-grand parents had built the buildings, and without the buildings we really had no way to survive Maine's harsh weather, and without a large income there was no way to rebuild and support 300 people.

At this point I still wasn't thinking about education, but I was about to, because it became very clear to me that if we were going to survive, quite a few of us were going to have to head into "the outside world" and get jobs. A few found work and but were outed by the family and went out on their own. Most of the ones who looked for work hard the same trouble I did and 6 years later are still without work. Most of the family packed up and left the state, moving on with the belief it is easier to homestead "out west" (most of them headed to Utah).

I started looking for jobs and was met again and again with the same words: "You seem like a hard worker and I'd like to hire you, I really would, but you have no education, it's bad enough you didn't go to college, but you didn't even go to grade school, no one is going to hire you, you at least have to get a GED, and besides a woman your age should be thinking about retiring not looking for her first job, and I'm sorry but the way you dress, you look like you are going to a costume party, and than there's the Autism, I mean, it would be nice if you could talk." 6 years and 400 job applications later I started college, because I have learned one thing: it doesn't matter what skills you have, what you can do, all that matters is if you have a piece of paper saying you have an education.

My writing is enough income to support me. I live in a motorhome, I have no electricity, no utility bills, I don't need much of an income. I never strived for much of an income - I never needed one before the hurricane. But it is not enough income for me to support a very large family, who for the most part is absolutely refusing to try to support themselves. Most of my books are out of print so only a few of the recent ones are bringing in an income right now, I'm currently working to get the old stuff back in print. Thus why I started going to college.

Starting college had results I did not expect. I started college to be able to get a job to have a better income to support this family, who I now see as very self-righteous and arrogant, a fact I learned as soon as I started college. They immediately declared me disowned and no longer a part of the family! Declaring that I was siding with "the enemy" because I got a GED and enrolled in college. *sigh* They now shun me and act as though I am dead, funeral and all. Oh well, to each his own. As I said, though, they are gone now, left the state, and it is just me and 5 others still here in Maine now. They too are seeking an education now.






------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ever wonder what it was like to live with Autism? 
--
I have Autism. For more of my life I rarely spoke and was considered "too crazy" to ever live a normal life. I communicated via writing instead of vocally. I did not attend school. Psychologists said I would never drive a car, never get a job, never go to college, never function as a meaningful member of society, never be able to take care of myself or live on my own. They said there was no hope for me, I would need full-time care my whole life. 
--
My progression was long and slow and very hard. Things other people found easy to do (getting dressed, brushing teeth/hair, walking across the street, etc,) I found extremely confusing and hard to learn. I was prone to wandering off and getting lost (I still am). Driver's ed takes most people a few weeks to learn - it took me 5 years. 
--
I determined to prove the doctors wrong, but it was far harder to do, than most people would imagine. I got my first job working at Macy's at age 30 (a very difficult job as I had to deal one on one with customers and I still at that point was not talking in a manner that could be understood by others). I got my GED at age 34. I got my driver's license at age 35. I started college at age 36. By age 37 I had become a Phi Theta Kappa Honor Student and I was finally able to speak to others in full spoken verbal conversation for the first time in my life. 
Now you can find out what it's like Being an Adult with Autism

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Good morning Starshine! Liked this post? Looking to connect with me online? I love social networks and am on most of them. You can find me on: BloggerEtsyFaceBookGoogle+KeenMySpaceNaNoWriMoProBoardsScript FrenzySpoonflowerSquidooTwitterULC Ministers NetworkWordpress, and Zazzle Feel free to give me a shout any  time. Many blessings to you, may all your silver clouds be lined with rhinestones and sparkle of golden sunshine. Have yourself a great and wonderful glorious day!

~Rev. Wendy C. Allen aka Empress EelKat of Laughing Gnome Hollow



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


This post was written by Wendy C Allen aka EelKat, is copyrighted by The Twighlight Manor Press and was posted on Houseless Living @ http://houselessliving.blogspot.com and reposted at EK's Star Log @ http://eelkat.wordpress.com and parts of it may also be seen on http://www.squidoo.com/EelKat and http://laughinggnomehollow.proboards.com  If you are reading this from a different location than those listed above, please contact me Wendy C. Allen aka EelKat @ http://laughinggnomehollow.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=viewprofile and let me know where it is you found this post. Plagiarism is illegal and I DO actively pursue offenders. Unless copying a Blog Meme, you do not have permission to copy anything appearing on this blog, including words, art, or photos. This will be your only warning. Thank you and have a glorious day! ~ EelKat



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Did you know you can now get a FREE Kindle for your PC? Be sure to download your FREE Kindle directly from Amazon today. Don't have Windows PC? No worries! Amazon is also offering 100% FREE Kindles for: AndroidWindows Phone 7MaciPhone, and BlackBerry. And don't miss out on over 1.8 million Free eBooks from Amazon's Kindle Store.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View EelKat Wendy C Allen's profile on LinkedIn

No comments:

Post a Comment