Welcome to My Full-Time RV Living LifeStyle Blog!

I suppose I should mention that this is an RV blog. The picture of me standing beside a motorhome in the banner probably tipped you off to that fact already, but you know how it is with blogs, any body can put anything in the header.

Anyways, I was born, raised, and live in Maine, I have 12 cats, and some people would call me homeless. Nope, I have a home, I just don't have what people call a standard house. My house has wheels and her name is Rosebud. My backyard stretches on for thousands and thousands of miles all the way from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean.

Once upon a time I had a "regular home" but a flood came and took it away. Me and my cats spent the next 3 years living under a 8x6 tarp and survived through 3 blizzards and Maine's coldest winter on record when the temps hit -48F. After that me and the cats moved in a Volvo. As hard as it is to live in a tent with 12 cats, it's even harder to live in a Volvo with 12 cats, and a motorhome named No Hurry was the answer. No Hurry: my home, my office, my RV.

I plan to use this blog to share my thoughts, ideas, adventures, and advice on being self-employed, living and working a full-time RV LifeStyle with an army of cats, while boondocking in the wonderful (and sometimes sub-zero) state of Maine.

I hope to write a post a day featuring random thoughts as they pop into my head, and hopefully 2 or 3 posts per week will focus on something helpful to those seeking to live in an RV full time. If you've any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions on what sort of posts you'd like to see me write, please comment and let me know.

I hope you all have as much fun reading this blog as I know I'll have writing it.

~Wendy

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Critical Introduction for English Composition - Final Portfolio


English Composition - Final Portfolio
May 9, 2012
Wendy C. Allen

Critical Introduction

In going back and evaluating the papers I wrote over the course of this semester, I have found that I have a recurring problem of jumping ahead of myself when writing. I forget that even though I know all the facts, the reader does not. I think I start too far into the story which can be confusing to the reader who doesn’t know the back history leading up to the point which they are now reading. I need to give the reader a better understanding of what is going on early in the story. Another problem I find myself doing, is neglecting to include a history section. When I get into the story, I go off into a rant of sorts and forget to stop and let the reader know what is going on. Again I seem to have a problem remembering that the reader does not have the same inside information which I have. I feel that I need to let the reader in on the info a little more.

Commas trip me up, as do run on sentences. I can see that I have trouble with both of these things. I think this may be caused by my reading habits. I read predominantly pre-20th century works, especially Edgar Alan Poe and Benjamin Franklin, both of whom were noted for poor grammar and bad spelling. Poe often wrote entire stories as one sentence and Franklin, well, Franklin wrote exactly as he spoke. They say you write what you know, right? By reading steadily writers with poor grammar skills, I seem to have picked up on and mirrored their same mistakes. For some reason, I am not noticing my mistakes while I am editing my work, either. Strange. I see the mistakes if I go back a month or two later, but if I try editing an hour or a day later, I totally miss the errors. I have no idea why this is. It would seem that I need to do some more in depth study of comma usage, to cure the problem to begin with. If I was punctuating better in the first place there would be less need for editing later.

My strong point seems to lay in descriptions. I’m good at writing descriptions and details. Perhaps it is because I have Autism and OCD. I pick up on minute details in everything I do, especially in my art, so it stands to reason that I would be doing the same in my writing. Length is both my strength and my weakness. They say that when you do something for 3 weeks in a row it becomes a habit. I have been writing short stories, sermons, and articles for 31 years. Most everything I have ever written ranges in the 10 to 15 page range. One thing this semester has taught me is that after 31 years of writing in the 10 to 15 page range, I now find I have great difficulty at writing anything longer or shorter! This quite surprised me. Most of the writing assignments called for 2 pages, and while I’m excellent at writing 10 page papers, I really had a hard time getting a full story (beginning, middle, and end) into just 2 pages.  I already knew I reached a “burnout” point at about 15 pages, thus why I write short stories not novels, but I was not aware that I had such a hard time getting a full story down in just 2 pages. This class was really a challenge for me because of this fact.

I discovered some topics are easier for me to write than others. I felt that a couple of my explorations came out very poorly and seemed to ramble aimlessly, while the others came out rather well. Topic seemed to be the deciding factor of whether my paper wandered mindlessly or stayed on track. Overall this class has helped me to view my writing in a more critical light and shown me what areas I need to work on.

Southern Maine Community College
English 100-15 English Composition
Dan Clarke
Spring 2012


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you know you can now get a FREE Kindle for your PC? Be sure to download your FREE Kindle directly from Amazon today. Don't have Windows PC? No worries! Amazon is also offering 100% FREE Kindles for: Android, Windows Phone 7, Mac, iPhone, and BlackBerry. And don't miss out on over 1.8 million Free eBooks from Amazon's Kindle Store.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


This post was written by Wendy C Allen aka EelKat, is copyrighted by The Twighlight Manor Press and was posted on Houseless Living @ http://houselessliving.blogspot.com and reposted at EK's Star Log @ http://eelkat.wordpress.com and parts of it may also be seen on http://www.squidoo.com/EelKat and http://laughinggnomehollow.proboards.com  If you are reading this from a different location than those listed above, please contact me Wendy C. Allen aka EelKat @ http://laughinggnomehollow.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=viewprofile and let me know where it is you found this post. Plagiarism is illegal and I DO actively pursue offenders. Unless copying a Blog Meme, you do not have permission to copy anything appearing on this blog, including words, art, or photos. This will be your only warning. Thank you and have a glorious day! ~ EelKat



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment