Welcome to My Full-Time RV Living LifeStyle Blog!

I suppose I should mention that this is an RV blog. The picture of me standing beside a motorhome in the banner probably tipped you off to that fact already, but you know how it is with blogs, any body can put anything in the header.

Anyways, I was born, raised, and live in Maine, I have 12 cats, and some people would call me homeless. Nope, I have a home, I just don't have what people call a standard house. My house has wheels and her name is Rosebud. My backyard stretches on for thousands and thousands of miles all the way from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean.

Once upon a time I had a "regular home" but a flood came and took it away. Me and my cats spent the next 3 years living under a 8x6 tarp and survived through 3 blizzards and Maine's coldest winter on record when the temps hit -48F. After that me and the cats moved in a Volvo. As hard as it is to live in a tent with 12 cats, it's even harder to live in a Volvo with 12 cats, and a motorhome named No Hurry was the answer. No Hurry: my home, my office, my RV.

I plan to use this blog to share my thoughts, ideas, adventures, and advice on being self-employed, living and working a full-time RV LifeStyle with an army of cats, while boondocking in the wonderful (and sometimes sub-zero) state of Maine.

I hope to write a post a day featuring random thoughts as they pop into my head, and hopefully 2 or 3 posts per week will focus on something helpful to those seeking to live in an RV full time. If you've any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions on what sort of posts you'd like to see me write, please comment and let me know.

I hope you all have as much fun reading this blog as I know I'll have writing it.

~Wendy

Friday, March 2, 2012

Cookbooks for (Vegetarian) Solo FullTimers...Do they even exist?


Can anyone recommend any good cookbooks for "cooking for 1 (or 2) people" that are also convenient for "cooking on the road", can be cooked in a toaster oven, and are also meatless recipes?

(Background info: I live fulltime in a 22' 1975 Dodge Sportsman F40 Class C Motorhome. I live alone, just me and my cats. I need a cookbook suitable for my tiny galley, toaster oven kitchen.)

I thought I'd look at the "RV cookbooks", (there are a few dozen I've found on Amazon so far) but I don't really like the ones out there. Most of the RV cookbooks I've seen so far, assume you've got a 45' luxury motorhome with 3 full sized slide outs complete with a full kitchen or they go to the other extreme and assume I am cooking on a stick over an open fire in the middle of Yellowstone, and than there are the serving sizes that are always assuming you are a couple with 4 kids and a few guests from the neighboring RV.

OMG! I don't think there is a single RV Cookbook out there that was actually written by someone who lived in a standard to small sized RV! I doubt that they have ever even seen a gallery kitchen before. The authors have absolutely no idea that normal RVs have 2 very small burners and an oven you could ALMOST squeeze a 9" pan into, or that there is no counter tops to work on, so you are working in your sink. And folks living in Toyotas or vans have even less kitchen space to work with and may not have a stove or oven at all and are using a toaster oven or hot pad burner instead.

It's very frustrating because I saw the title/subtitles of "RV Cooking" on the cookbooks and assumed they were recipes meant to be cooked INSIDE an RV kitchen, but many of the recipes even state to cook it "at home before you leave" saying it makes a "great on the road snack". Well sure, just about anything can be cooked at home and taken with you, but what about those of us who are NOT on vacation? The only recipes that are INTENDED to be cooked on the road, assume you are on a camping trip, so tell you how to cook things such as corn wrapped in foil, over a grill on a camp fire. The RV Cookbooks are aimed at vacation campers not fulltimers. Our RV is our home. We need recipes we can make from INSIDE the RV!

Sure there are a few fulltime families with a couple of kids, usually 2, so even than they only need 4 serving recipes. But heck 95% of fulltimers are retired  and 35% are single.  It's RARE to find an RV with more than 2 people in it, so what's the deal with all the 8 serving recipes in these books? I just can't use any of them, as I'm single, don't need to make enough to serve 8 people, have a tiny half sized oven, normal cookie sheets and cake pans don't fit in my oven, and I'm not cooking over a fire pit either!

One woman (on Amazon) (who appeared to be the author of the book in question), wrote a comment on a cookbook review, after several people complained that the book was obviously written by someone who had never been in an RV, to ask *Don't most RVs have refrigerators and freezers?*

uhm...no...actually MOST do not, have EITHER and it's a very, very, very, very rare thing to find an RV with a freezer. Yes, 40' billionaire owned RVs have such things, but you are talking about RVs that are bigger than the average person's house. The AVERAGE RV is 19' - 28' and there is a far higher % of 12 - 15' RVs than there are 35 - 40' RVs, than there are Class B's, Slide-ins, Teardrops, Vans, VW Buses, and Pop-ups, none of which even have a kitchen at all, and rarely do these even have a toilet! The AVERAGE RV (19 - 28') contains a 2 burner stove, a toaster oven, and a "cocktail fridge" (about big enough to hold 2 one liter bottles of soda) which does not have a freezer compartment in it.

Also 80% of RVers are fulltimers (people who live in their RV fulltime - the RV is their one and ONLY house) they do not have a "house to go back to" or a place to "cook before you leave" , therefore they can not, as several of these so called "RV Cookbooks" suggest, cook something at home "before they leave on vacation". And having no freezer, means there is no cooking stuff ahead of time and freezing it for later. OMG! How many books say that! It's unbelievable! What freezer? Where? Advice to these authors - if you are going to write an RV Cookbook, why don't you try, I don't know, ACTUALLY setting foot inside an RV BEFORE you start writing?

Than there is the problem with every single RV cookbook being nothing but 101 ways to cook hamburger, hotdogs, fish, chicken, and steak. What, do you think people in RV's have huge chest freezers to keep sides of beef or whole turkeys in?

Does anyone know of any books out there that are actually aimed at cooking in an RV kitchen? And what about a vegetarian one - does such a thing even exist?

I got so frustrated trying to find an RV cookbook that is useful to single women in a small RV, that I came to the conclusion the only way I was going to find the book I want, is if I set out to write that cookbook myself! I've decided to start writing down the stuff I make and eventually compile a cook book for RVing/VanDwelling solo women, but that's a few years down the road.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you know you can now get a FREE Kindle for your PC? Be sure to download your FREE Kindle directly from Amazon today. Don't have Windows PC? No worries! Amazon is also offering 100% FREE Kindles for: Android, Windows Phone 7, Mac, iPhone, and BlackBerry. And don't miss out on over 1.8 million Free eBooks from Amazon's Kindle Store.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


This post was written by Wendy C Allen aka EelKat, is copyrighted by The Twighlight Manor Press and was posted on Houseless Living @ http://houselessliving.blogspot.com and reposted at EK's Star Log @ http://eelkat.wordpress.com and parts of it may also be seen on http://www.squidoo.com/EelKat and http://laughinggnomehollow.proboards.com  If you are reading this from a different location than those listed above, please contact me Wendy C. Allen aka EelKat @ http://laughinggnomehollow.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=viewprofile and let me know where it is you found this post. Plagiarism is illegal and I DO actively pursue offenders. Unless copying a Blog Meme, you do not have permission to copy anything appearing on this blog, including words, art, or photos. This will be your only warning. Thank you and have a glorious day! ~ EelKat



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 comments:

  1. While this will be a Fail on my part because of it not being Vegetarian. I recently got this book about meals for one person. http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-One-family-Circle-Step-By-Step/dp/0864119178/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330735746&sr=1-7
    Perhaps looking for it on Amazon will help you find what you need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A cookbook of simple food for solo fulltime RVers is a great idea. I've been on the road for 18 months in a 28' motorhome and have developed a few meals and routines that work for me. But even with dozens of recipes, we all weary of them and enjoy something new. You seem to be a prolific writer. If you wanted to put together a book or website for feeding oneself on the road, I'd be happy to contribute.

    I, too, blog about unconventional people, odd places little known outside of their zip code, and how I experience them at www.allevenson.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete